Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Put The Gun Down

No, I haven't forgotten you. I've just been really busy. Frantic really. Okay no, not really. Just lazy. Too lazy to form complete sentences, even. But I saw this thing today. A quote. From Umberto Eco, who's my favorite author of all time ever, and if he's not yours, well then talk to the hand. What's that? Nabokov? Okay, I forgive you. Anyway:

"A democratic civilization will save itself only if it makes the language of the image into a stimulus for critical reflection - not an invitation for hypnosis." - Umberto Eco.
I am totally gay for Umberto Eco. Even if he is an icky, seventy-five-year-old degenerate Italian. His "Foucault's Pendulum" has been described, to my intense rage and rising bile, as a "thinking man's DaVinci Code". To mention Dan Brown's execrable bolus of literary offal in the same sentence as Eco's transcendental prose is a disservice to the master semiotician's oeuvre. Whoever said this should have their tongue ripped from their head by wild dogs.

8 uninformed opinions:

Leila said...

hi phil, this is samia,
speaking as an ingnorant child, what was that post supposed to mean, exactly?

Leila said...

it says leila but its samia, im browsing around on her computer, looking for dirt.

Leila said...

you dont seem to be getting much feedback... am i boring you? or are you too lazy to be reading the rest of my comments. anyways have a nice day. and i kknow you are incredibly smart and everything but when you write, try to think of those who might be reading you, the not so smart ones. bye

Leila said...

and its been 18 days since your last post. frantically busy again? im sure.

Cool Ranch Luke said...

Word to the ADD generation! 4 comments in 5 minutes, and she's busting my chops for not replying.

This is one of those posts that just means what it says. They are rare, precious gems, to be appreciated, not questioned.

The laziness. It possesses me. It is comfort, down-filled, and bids me stay, and so I shall. So get bent.

love and kisses!

Leila said...

ok. now it's me.

what the?!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool Ranch Luke said...

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Cool Ranch Luke said...

HAPPY BELATED VALENTINE'S DAY, by the way. (And that goes for all of my wonderful loyal readers!)